Saturday, April 18, 2009



As the wind whipped the coast this week all I wanted to do was fish. On Friday, I had a chance to go down to one of my favorite bait spots and pick up some fresh ones for the surf. After searching for a while with my ghost shrimp pump (and having very little luck) I ran into a fellow SC’r who took me to the Promised Land.

With Ray’s help and direction he managed to pull a cornucopia of baits from the sand. We caught just enough ghost shrimp, sandworms and innkeeper worms to make up the first half of our bait. Now it was on to catching a few sidewinder crabs and a handful of sand crabs. Thanks Ray for your help. It just shows how great the attitude is with everyone I’ve met from SC.

After Ray shot off to family obligations I went back to work and waited out the last hours before I could go surf fishing. When I arrived at the beach around 6pm it was a bit windy, as with days before, but somewhat warmer. I went out to a good spot where rocks meet sand and looked to catch some fish.

I was amped to use the ghost shrimp and on my first cast I wasn’t disappointed when I felt the tap, tap, tap and run of a nice fish. Unfortunately, I wasn’t fishing for pinback sharks so it was on with another shrimp and out we go. Instant hook up—another pinback. At times like these I’ve learned that harder baits will many times reduce the number of sharks or small fish. So I switched to the sidewinder.

It wasn’t long and I was on.

Next cast same result.

And with each cast until dark a bite, a fish or a farm. The fish are back!!




The day ended, and as the sun set over Palos Verdes I couldn’t help but think what the next few days and weeks would bring in the surf. With a return to warm days and the promise of a sizeable south swell next week it shouldn’t be long before the fruits of summer have arrived!!







It looks like we may have some great weather over the next week with very little wind and a small south swell. The tides next week will also be the best of the month for both fishing and catching bait. Some days are so good, with a high tide in the morning and evening, you could fish twice per day!!



Home of the All-in-One Surf Tackle Kit







No comments: